You might be considering getting braces to help straighten your teeth. Congrats! Before you make a decision about which treatment path is best for you, it’s important that you ask your orthodontist some key questions. In this post, we’ll cover what you should ask about the treatment process, the cost of braces, and what to expect after your braces or Invisalign treatment starts, with insights from Dr. Joseph Porter at Porter Orthodontics.
What Does My Treatment Timeline Look Like?
You should always ask your orthodontist for a description of the treatment plan, as a patient it is crucial to at least have a basic understanding of what will be going on in your mouth over the next few months. This will help you to understand what is going to happen during treatment and what you can expect in terms of results. And, understanding your treatment helps you to make more informed lifestyle choices, motivates you to maintain oral health, and helps you plan for costs down the road. our orthodontist will be happy to share where your treatment is headed with you!
What Are My Options?
When you are considering orthodontic treatment, it is important to ask your orthodontist about all of the available options. There are constantly new innovations in orthodontics. There are a variety of treatments that can be used to correct dental problems, and your orthodontist will be able to discuss the pros and cons of each option with you. In some cases, you may be able to choose between traditional braces and clear braces. Invisalign clear braces, ceramic braces, and self-ligating braces are all potential options that tend to be more discreet than traditional metal braces. You should also ask about the length of treatment and the expected cost.
How Should I Care for My Orthodontic Appliance?
Caring for your orthodontic appliance is important to ensure that it works properly and lasts as long as possible. Here are some tips on how to care for your appliance:
– Brush your teeth regularly and floss daily. Be sure to brush around your appliance as well as your teeth.
– Avoid hard and sticky foods. Hard foods can damage your appliance, and sticky foods can get caught in it and cause discomfort.
– Keep up with your regular appointments. Your orthodontist will need to check your appliance regularly to make sure it is working properly.
What Are Some Lifestyle Changes I Might Have to Make?
If you’re considering orthodontic treatment, you’re probably wondering what sorts of lifestyle changes you might have to make. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- You’ll need to take extra care of your teeth. This means brushing and flossing regularly, and avoiding foods that could damage your braces.
- You may need to adjust your diet. This means avoiding hard or sticky foods that could damage your braces, and cutting back on sugary drinks and snacks.
- You’ll need to be careful about playing sports. Contact sports could damage your braces, so it’s important to talk to your orthodontist about any precautions you should take.
- You’ll need to be diligent about attending all of your orthodontic appointments. Skipping appointments could lengthen the overall treatment time.
Making these lifestyle changes may seem like a hassle, but they’re necessary in order to achieve healthy, straight teeth. So talk to your orthodontist about what you can expect before beginning treatment, and make sure you’re prepared to make the necessary changes.
If any other questions arise, we are always available to answer anything you need to ask! Feel free to ask in person at your next appointment or call our office. We are here to help you and your smile stay healthy!